Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We decided to buy a villa in turkey from an english guy.have

We decided to buy a villa in turkey from an english guy.have paid £10,000 deposit through bank transfer ffrom our uk bank to
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we paid the deposit into his uk account
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we haven't signed an agreement as yet, but we can no longer go ahead with the purchase

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we paid a deposit of £10,000 for a villa in turkey. we have no written contract so nothing signed. we paid by pound sterling into his uk bank account as he is english. we can no longer go ahead with the sale but now he wont refund any of the money

You want to change your mind? Did you sign any order?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no we didn't sign anything
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My father isn't very well so we can no longer go ahead with the purchase of the villa

Does this person live in the uk?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he lives in Turkey

Ah, that’s a problem. Enforcing a court order.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 14 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Once you get judgment then you can seek a European enforcement order. Subject to what happens with Brexit.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We don't have his Turkish address,
We have written through email..
will this be a problem.Also turkey are not in the e.u.

Your biggest problem is the address.

You cant sue without an address.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will see if I can get one.
Can you still send info by email as well

You can log into your account at any time.

Its not automatically emailed.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I meant as we have be communicating with him by email can I still send him the letter by email as well as sending a postal letter.

Yes you can email.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you very much for your help

Pleasure