12826847

My neighbour and I had an argument. She wound me up until I

My neighbour and I had an argument. She wound me up until I exploded with some foul language. In an email to all 6 neuibours in the building I was accused of threatening and intimidating ‘a woman on her own’.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i denied this in a reply and demanded an apology. Now there is a video of it. I am in the UK - can I be sued for libel by suggesting she lied in the email?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing - just happened
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a dispute of my flat being used for Air Bnb which they say breaks the lease, but she has a dog which also breaks the lease

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

To whom did you deny it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The rest of the neighbours on the email trail
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I took the high moral ground and got shot down
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What is shown is the lead up to my outburst
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry, what isn’t shown is the build up to my outburst
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I forward the emails somehow?

So you were emailing other people saying this was a lie?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Correct

Does she have any money?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yep

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

She could sue. Accusing a person of lying is a defamation.

It is very expensive to do that though. It is not a cheap affair. It can usually be headed off anyway with a public apology or something similar to that.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When I say emailing other people, it was kept within the original audience of the original email
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would I usually have to pay her costs in suing? Any idea of the kind of damages she might claim
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The argument ignited because she was intimidating to guests who were staying there (a father and his young family) - she denied this and I have proved that wrong - is it relevant?

You would be liable for costs but she has to pay them first. If you have no money then she cannot recover.