Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A neighbour's dog chased one of our cats in our garden.

A neighbour's dog chased one of our cats in our garden. Garden unfenced, we are in a rural location. Cat critically injured, with broken back and leg and severe internal trauma, all of which requires very expensive treatment, currently being undertaken to save her life. Neighbour acknowledges the attack. Is there any liability on my neighbour's part to meet (or contribute to) the vet's bill? Third party liability covered by their insurance for instance? Bill will be in the region of £12,000. Not sure yet if the cat will survive but we are doing what we can. We are on good terms with our neighbours and have no wish to fall out with them. Our enquiry is to find out what if any responsibility they have to keep their lurcher under control, as it will inevitably chase any cat that is running away from it, and what if anything we could reasonably ask for to assist with the vet's bill resulting from their dog's attack on our cat. Thanks for the assistance.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing - it happened on Sunday evening about 7.30 pm and since then we have been covering many miles to get the cat treatment. Our neighbour called by yesterday evening and immediately after the attack to find out what had happened.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: TN19 7DR Lyndhurst
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You just want to know the legal position at this stage ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
please. We doubt our neighbour has much spare resource but it would be useful to understand the legal position and also to see if it is acceptable to ask him if he has third party liability insurance.

In law, yes they are liable.

Even if you claim on insurance they may fight it.

But yes, in law they are negligent. They are required to kee their dog under control at all times.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks for this. Might there be a template letter available so we could write to him (with suitable additions/amendments we can make to fit the circumstances)?

You can try and google one, but this is quite specific.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
OK - seems one is not readily available otherwise you would have guided accordingly I suppose.

Indeed