How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 73980
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A few months ago I was caught stealing from my employer, i

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: A few months ago I was caught stealing from my employer, i was called to a disciplinary hearing but handed my notice before hand. I admitted to the theft they had evidence of. Half the money was deducted from my wage. My ex employer has pressed charges and I am now invited to the police station on Thursday
JA: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: There was no action as I resigned before the hearing
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

how can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'd like to know what will happen at the police station? Wether I face custodial sentence?

how much did you take?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took £3000 roughly of which £1800 was deducted from my last wage leaving £1200 left to pay back

Do you have any previous?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't

Thanks for the information

This is a fairly high value theft and it is aggravated by the breach of trust. However, you would not normally receive a custodial sentence on a first offence for a sum of this amount. There would probably be a suspended sentence or a community order.

You will be very well served if you can repay the full amount though as soon as possible.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thank you! I cannot really afford to pay all of it back in one go could an arrangement be made? I did offer to pay back in installments but my ex employer refused and left to the hands of the police. Would you advice to take caution if the police offers?

Anything is better than nothing.

Yes, take the caution if they are going to be able to prove this and one is available.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you