How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4474
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have recently had a house built which i paid in full on

This answer was rated:

i have recently had a house built which i paid in full on the day of final demand.the builder now refuses to repair any work on our final snag sheet, which he agreed to prior to occupation . if we want to be difficult,we could claim for new doors as some have been cut up 1 inch too short..the claim could be up to
£20,000 0n a £500.000 house
Colin Brown

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

They should repair the snag list at their expenses given this is a new build property. If he has a dispute resolution scheme then one option would be to pursue that but this may take some time.

A much more effective way would be to send the builder a letter before action to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. You may also want to threaten a report to the Housing Ombudsman and Trading Standards for good measure.

You would then need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims between £10,000 and £25,000 are subject to fixed costs only so if you lose then the risk is minimal. This would likely be a "fast track" case, which is in between a small claim and a multi track claim. The money claim website allows you to sue for an amount up to £100,000.

You would claim the sum for the repair estimate, the court issue fee (details of fees are here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment.

Once you have the CCJ from the court the builder/defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property, summons to court for questioning, etc.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you