Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I was quoted car insurance from Hastings direct it was

I was quoted car insurance from Hastings direct it was accepted then I went to New Zealand for 2 months during that time I was asked by emails for certain documents I could do the licence but I could not provide the other info no claims etc as the documents were at home and I had no way of forwarding them to them they then charge me for the cancelation. I have spoken to them and they informed me that they will not reinstate the policy. I asked if I renewed would I be classed as having been refused insurance and they said yes. I could give evidence that I was in NZ . When I recived there request I emailed back and explained the position. I think this is very unfair, I was told by them that I could have provided the info. I had no reply from me email but I evidence it was sent. At the time when I renewed they did not say these document would be required. When I asked the question why I was not told they said it was only done on a random bases.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Hungerford Berkshire RG17 0HJ
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to Hastings and they informed me I could have sent the documents, The house was locked and I had not way of getting the docs to them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of any else
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have just call back and informed me that The cost of renewal as go up from £307 to £950,

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Have they raised the premium because you failed to provide the documents?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave them my reasons that I was unable to provide them as I was in NZ for 2months I sent this by email and they said it is now recorded I have been refused insurance.

Had you been told that you would need to provide this evidence at the time you took the insurance out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At this time I do not want to pay £42 until I know whether I have any chance of an out come
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I had not as I explained in orginal email

No problem we can continue on here.

I would advise that you follow their internal complaints procedure set out on their website and state that if you do not receive a satisfactory response you will raise the matter with the Financial Ombudsman who deals with insurance complaints.

If you were not informed that you needed to provide this documentation at the point that you purchased the insurance then it is likely the ombudsman will determine in your favour that this should not be recorded as a refusal and that your premium should not be impacted in this way.

You will find the details of the ombudsman at https://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Is there anything further you would like to know?

If I have answered your question I would be very grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for the info it is much appreciated

No problem at all, please take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site, thank you and all the best.