Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
102609820

Today we had moving day from our old flat. Our landlord did

Hello, today we had moving day from our old flat. Our landlord did inspection, put on paper it need new painting and when I asked him if is it something more what they will charge us for they told me that it is. So I sign it and now when I called them with bank account number they told me they need do carpets, painting and another things and they will do another inspection. I am not sure if they are allowed to do that. I took picture of the paper what I sign and there is just saying 'need painting'
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Southampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just tell them I will ask lawyer about it because I think they can't do inspection after they done inspection what I sign..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes.

I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor with over 19 Years of experience in the UK.
I am currently reviewing your question and shall revert to you shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, thank you. Will wait.

Thank you for the clarification. I will type up my Answer and send it to you shortly. Thanks

The purpose of the Final Landlord Inspection is so the Parties can agree what Damage if any the Tenant has caused and should make good or pay to rectify by deduction from the Deposit held by the Landlord.

The landlord should really have checked all the areas during the Final Inspection, but sometimes things do genuinely get missed.

If you are not responsible for the additional item, you should immediately inform the Landlord that you dispute the items added after inspection and you will challenge the same at Court.

If however, you are responsible for the damage to the Additional items you are obliged to pay for them.

If the Parties cannot reach agreement as to which items have been damaged, the severity of the damage, the repair or replacement costs etc, and if the Landlord is holding a Deposit by an independent and free Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service provided by the scheme the Deposit is secured with, which will aim to resolve any disputes quickly and without the need for Court action.

Each Deposit scheme will contain an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service so both Tenant and Landlord will need to contact the appointed scheme. If both Parties agree to use the service, both will have to agree to accept its decision and both will not be able to apply to the Courts.

If you or your landlord do not agree to use the Tenancy Deposit Scheme service then the dispute will usually go to the Small Claims Court.

In short, there is nothing stopping a Landlord adding additional items to an Inspection Document, but it makes it much more difficult for the Landlord to prove you caused the damage during your Tenancy at ADR or Court.

I trust this assists, If you need a CALL to discuss and more in-depth advice, then please let me know.

If not then kindly leave a Positive Rating so JustAnswer can credit me for my time.

The Positive Rating can be provided by clicking the STARS on the top of your Screen

It was my pleasure to assist you today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thank you for your answer and help. :)

You are most Welcome!