Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am a freelance interpreter and have a long term

I am a freelance interpreter and have a long term relationship with a particular linguistic agent for two years. Recently, there was a complaint from a client that caused the linguistic agent to terminate my registration and threaten to deduct a certain amount as penalty. Regarding the part, terminating my service, that I have no dispute whatsoever. However, I feel that deducting my wages as penalty is not lawful. There are regulations regarding penalties under certain circumstances, but there isn't a single sentence states that penalties can incur due to complaints from customers.Please advise :
1. Is it unlawful that the linguistic agent to deduct my wages is such a way?
2. Do I have the legal right to request for full payment of my final wage?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: The manager terminated my service.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am a freelancer and not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Do you still work there?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The charge is too much for simple answers
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you answer by text rather than calling?

Yes I can continue on here. Unless the contract specifically states that they can deduct for this reason then it is a breach of contract and you can recover the unpaid wages. You should contact ACAS to start early claim conciliation at www.acas.org.uk. If that does not resolve matters you can claim in the employment tribunal at www.employmenttribunal.gov.uk

Is there anything further you would like to know?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That is good enough. thanks

No problem, please do remember to rate my answer before leaving the site so that I can be credited for my time. Thank you and all the best.