How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7400
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I am a freelance interpreter and have a long term

This answer was rated:

I am a freelance interpreter and have a long term relationship with a particular linguistic agent for two years. Recently, there was a complaint from a client that caused the linguistic agent to terminate my registration and threaten to deduct a certain amount as penalty. Regarding the part, terminating my service, that I have no dispute whatsoever. However, I feel that deducting my wages as penalty is not lawful. There are regulations regarding penalties under certain circumstances, but there isn't a single sentence states that penalties can incur due to complaints from customers.Please advise :
1. Is it unlawful that the linguistic agent to deduct my wages is such a way?
2. Do I have the legal right to request for full payment of my final wage?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: The manager terminated my service.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am a freelancer and not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Do you still work there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The charge is too much for simple answers
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you answer by text rather than calling?

Yes I can continue on here. Unless the contract specifically states that they can deduct for this reason then it is a breach of contract and you can recover the unpaid wages. You should contact ACAS to start early claim conciliation at If that does not resolve matters you can claim in the employment tribunal at

Is there anything further you would like to know?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is good enough. thanks

No problem, please do remember to rate my answer before leaving the site so that I can be credited for my time. Thank you and all the best.

Jenny and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you