12826847

3.5 years ago I was involved in an accident without valid

Hi, 3.5 years ago I was involved in an accident without valid insurance. I was riding a motorbike, was quite slippery and I ended up lying on the road and my bike on the oposit line.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: IG7 London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: It was 3.5 years ago and we were just contacted by MIB today I am not sure if the accident was my foult
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

how can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I to be blaim for this accident?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure if I shuld be responsible in 10% for this

I can't possibly tell from these facts but isn't the problem anyway that you were uninsured.

If you were uninsured then you are liable to the MIB who would have had to deal with the claim. Just for a smaller amount.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do you mean by smaller amount?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it worth trying to proof that I am not in 100% responsible for that?

Like I said, I can't possibly tell from these facts whether you are responsible or not.

But since you were not insured you are liable to the MIB.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does it mean to me that the MIB claim will be settled against my name. What consequences?

The claim that they are making against you.

The MIB would have had to deal with the claim because you weren't insured. You are liable for that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do understand that, but it was 3 years ago. Police was never informed, I was in contact with the third party insurance and wanted to pay for the damage but I was never contacted by anyone back until today, and I am not sure if I should get a lawyer. This is why I am asking about consequences. Any criminal one, financial one. Can you give me the worst case scenario?

You won't be prosecuted now. They are out of time apart from anything else.

The only consequence is that the MIB would sue to recover their claim and they will succeed.

You can get a lawyer but it would just rack up costs and there isn't really a challenge here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know the damage to the car was about £3500 as I was informed by the third party insurance. Should I expect any other costs?

The MIB should have given you a figure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, they only asked me to contact them within 2 weeks time or the claim will be settled against my name

Oh OK.

Then make contact with them, explain your version of events and hopefully they won't settle the full claim. It depends if you are responsible for the collision or not.

You will end up paying something though by virtue of being uninsured.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Just in general if I fell on a slippery road and I was my bike was hit by a vehicle coming from opposite side. Is it possible that it was not my fault at least not in 100%?

It does sounds as though you are liable for their damage I'm afraid.

You weren't prosecuted because there wasnt really careless driving but that doesn't change your liability.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/