Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have ordered a sofa from dfs and wanted to exchange it

We have ordered a sofa from dfs and wanted to exchange it for a 2 seater as the 3 is to big but they say we have a contract so can not change the order
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sheffield
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have phoned and asked if they can do anything but they say no as the sofas have already been made
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have been made in China and already been shipped over and if they try and sell it in the shop it will only be sold as a exchange and we will loose some money

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

So you have just changed your mind?
When was it ordered? Was it in store?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was in store and ordered in 7th April.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The 3 seater wont fit in the room

Ok - so there is nothing wrong with it, you have just realised there is a problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing wrong with it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They say it's been made to our specification as in colour and a 2 and a 3 seater sofa

Ok. You want to cancel and lose deposit or money back?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have paid a deposit of £180 and asked if they could swap the 3 seater to a 2 but they say they cant. And if I cancel and say I don't want any of the sofas they will have to go down the legal route as we have signed a contract

Ok, so they are saying you are committed to paying for it?
What does the contract say about changing your mind/termination?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says the gods on order will be made fr thousand to your specification. It is important that you understand that this order is a legally binding contract
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have a signed copy but mine isn't signed

Ok - but you accept you signed it?
What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To exchange the 3 for a 2

Hmmmm - its bad news I am afraid.

Unless DFS agree to it, there is nothing you can do.

You signed the order on site which means you dont have a cooling off period. Even if you did, then it would be 14 days and as you signed it on 7th April you would be well out of time.

The contract does not say you can change your mind or terminate.

Therefore unless DFS allow you to change it, sadly you can't.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok that's fine. Thank you for your help

Can I assist with anything else today ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thank you

All the best. If I could invite you to rate my answer 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.