Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A few weeks ago my dog got loose and caught a cat in the

Hi, a few weeks ago my dog got loose and caught a cat in the alley behind our house.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stockport, greater manchester
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The cat had to be put down, and we came to a verbal agreement to pay £300 towards the vet bill,
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we paid the £300, but the cat owner is now threatening court action for more money

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’m wondering where we stand if this is indeed taken to court. As I was happy to pay some of the bill out of goodwill, but never believed we were actually at fault with cats free to roam

Ok - did the person say the £300 was in full and final settlement?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We were told the bill was £470, and that she was happy to accept £300 and she would pay the remainder. She said we didn’t have to pay her all in one go but we paid £300 to the vet direct.

Ok - then if £300 was accepted to be the end of the matter, then that is it.

They can try and take you to Court but will lose. They can't just change their mind which it appears that is what they are doing.

If they accepted £300 to end the matter then you have a defence.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.