How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1179
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have had my 15 year old niece living with me for the past

This answer was rated:

Hi . I have had my 15 year old niece living with me for the past 6 months and and wondering what financial help I can get.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Llangollen , Denbighshire, North wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried to look on line and did some calls but did not find any answers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


1-can you please explain where are your niece parents?

2-why is she living with you?

3-Which financial help you want?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have not seen her parents since Christmas and they are heroin addicts. They got evicted from their home.
Im not sure if I am am able to go for guardianship or how. And how to claim for family allowance and not getting anything for her

I am afraid it does come into my expertise so i am opting you out for another expert regarding your matter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will I get called today ?

Thank you for your enquiry. Your matter has been referred to me to see if I may be of any assistance. I am currently reviewing your concern and will respond shortly. Please note that this site is for general information and educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor does it establish a solicitor-client relationship.

Kind regards


I thank you for your patience.

I am really sorry to hear what has happened to your niece.

You may be entitled to obtain financial assistance to aid with her care. This is often referred to as family and friends care (often called kinship care). You’re known as a family and friends carer if you’re a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother, sister or family friend looking after a child who can’t be cared for by their birth parents. You must be approved as a foster carer if the local council has officially asked you to look after a child.

If the local council didn’t ask you to look after the child you don’t have to tell them the child has come to stay with you.

If you want to care for a child long term, you can get parental responsibility for the child by applying for a child arrangement order. You may get further information as to how to go about doing so by following the below link:

You may also find additional information by following the below link:

I do hope I have sufficiently answered your query . I would be grateful for your rating at this stage by clicking on the row of green stars at the top of the screen. Feel free to send me your follow on questions after your rating, if you still require clarification, I will still be able to respond to you.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have paid for a call back. Will this be refunded ?
I am not sure. I only use the platform similar to you. Kindly contact customer services. They will be able to assist. Don’t forget to rate the services so that I may be credited for the time spent responding to you.
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1179
Experience: Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Kindly provide contact details to enable a call