How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask marcusmalin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2499
Type Your Law Question Here...
marcusmalin is online now

My partner and I separated about 5 years ago. We are on good

This answer was rated:

My partner and I separated about 5 years ago. We are on good terms and have a 15 year old son. I live in the house we bought together (no mortgage) as joint tenants. She bought another house nearby where she lives with our son and her mother. I contribute towards her mortgage on her new place. I now want to get married to somebody else. I think she will want to sell our jointly owned house. I had intended to leave my share of the house to our son but if I have to sell the house I will have to buy another place and my intended wife will contribute. The half of our jointly owned house will no longer be secure to be left to my son.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: At the moment I have a will which leaves everything to my previous partner (we weren't married). I am 71 and both ladies are much younger than me.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I live in Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

Thank you.

marcusmalin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I presume the joint tenancy with my previous partner on our jointly owned property will not change and my intended wife will not have any rights over the property ? If she is living in the property would she have any rights to remain in the property if I died ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked a question regarding joint tenancy and the rights of my intended wife if she was living in the property when I died ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave the PC for a while and will come back to it shortly.