12826847

Been caught with someone elses oyster card. I have admitted

Hi, been caught with someone elses oyster card. I have admitted its not a first time. I really cant get criminal record. Is there a way of settling this out of court?
Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: I am still waiting for a lettet
Assistant: Where did this occur?
Customer: In holborn station
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

can you give me the background details and what happened last time please

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been traveling with 60+ oyster card and been caught. They have asked me if its first time, and i admitted that its not. So they took all my details and let me go, saying i will receive a letter. But it looks that for fare evasion you will get a criminal record, which will be end of my career and job. I looking for a way to avoid criminal record

Ok. So what is your question about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible to avoid criminal record for fare evasion?

The short answer is that there is no failsafe way to stop this going to court. You accept travel without a valid ticket and so have committed an offence. They are entitled to prosecute it.

You could ask them to give you the internal fine or to settle out of court. Sometimes they will agree to that. You cannot demand it though and usually they are in the region of £200-£300. But it is an offer you can make and it might work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats all thanks

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi once again, could you please advise if being an accountant (not yet qualified), but working in finance would be considered as mitigating circumstance?

No. It is a massive aggravating feature.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought saying that I will loose a job to TFL might make them to feel sorry for me and settle out of court.....??? So basically I have no chance to avoid criminal record?

Not on that basis .

They may settle out of court but it is really not a good idea to tell them you work in an industry that demands integrity. That racks up the wish to prosecute you by ten.