How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17359
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Wedding booked. venue has instructed contractors to build

This answer was rated:

wedding booked. venue has instructed contractors to build new accomodation so views are restricted on main route to the hall. a listed archway has been demolished by a recycling lorry and temporary works erected. so building work to the left of the driveway and temp work in front impeding views of portcullis and castle ahead
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: wales, uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: have tried to speak with the managers and the wedding organiser at the venue but they have closed ranks. we have been informed by planning the stone can be removed but they are refusing to do so. have offered £900 compensation so accepting liability for something although we do not know what or full refund. to late to book elsewhere. building works started after contract signed. and only in the last week and a half have we been informed a listed wall was demolished that happened early april
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at the moment thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to achieve, a refund from them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we wanted them to remove the rubble - planning have agreed this can be done. although its listed its a mess so they don't have an issue with it being moved. we then hoped that they could open it up so the drive down to the castle can be seen. understandably for health and safety nobody will be able to walk or drive through it but just to open it up. on the left hand side hording has been erected for 2/3 way down the driveway as they are constructing more accomodation so they have totally blocked the views to the sea. if this is not done considering the cost of the venue hire I feel £900 is an insult. they state today 6 weeks before the wedding that we can have all the money reimbursed and they will cancel the wedding. they have left us with no where to go

Ok. You want a court order to make them remove rubble?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can this be done. and would it be done in time. they are not allowed to touch the remainder of the arch so will they have to put up some kind of fencing

You would need an injunction though. I am not sure a court would grant an order making them remove it. But I can outline the process ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they have said that the insurance company will hopefully pay for a new gate they have erected at the back of the property as now bride, groom and guests have to use the service entrance. and they were hoping the small drive could be amended slightly so wedding cars can manoeuvre more easily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as we were not told and still have not been formally told about building works for the new accomodation do we have a case against them there. we found out via a 3rd party
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they knew this before the contracts were signed. the wall being hit by a lorry - granted an accident but as listed would have thought it should have been protected by bollards or similar.

Yes. I think you could claim a refund but I can’t see a judge ordering removal of rubble

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if we pushed for a refund would that end our contract. we have no other premises to go to at such short notice. or would they be obliged to honour the contract and issue a refund.

No. You can't have both.

Otherwise you would be getting the whole thing for free

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for your help

I am sorry its not better news, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thought we didn't have much hope. never mind. thank you

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face on the page before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you