12826847

Claim Form from court for a parking fine on a privately

Claim Form from court for a parking fine on a privately owned car park on 11/4/18, The claim is that I parked in breach of terms stipulated. I did pay and display and I still have the ticket. The day was dark and raining and I struggled to read the machine and so only the first 2 letters of my reg were printed on the ticket. I have written numerous times and sent letters explaining but they are now taking it to court, I have also explained to them that I am in financial difficulty and currently working with national debt line as I am barely managing my priority bills. So I am asking first, am I legally obliged to pay and if so can I offer £1 per month? Sharon

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
please that would be great!

you do have the option of defending on the basis that they have suffered no loss because you paid the fee for the relevant period. They will argue that the case of Beavis renders the sum of the loss point void but that case was decided upon an entirely different basis.

If you lose though, you can offer £1 a month. The court will refuse it and direct that you pay forthwith.

If you make a more sensible offer such as £20 a month and you are on low income then it might be accepted

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If I were to lose, would I get a CCJ on my credit file, even if I then offered the £20 per month?

Yes.

it will only be cleared if you pay in full within 28 days.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
In your experience would you say my chances of winning are slim? Am I best to just accept this and make the token offer as suggested?

I think probably about 50-50.

The token offer is pointless.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
By token offer, I meant time to pay and ok thank you

You are better off going to court really if you can live with the CCJ.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Last question, if I were to go to court and lose would the costs claimed be the same or would there be further costs added?

The costs would be £25 in costs and maybe £55 in fixed solicitors costs.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for your help

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/