How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask iram a Your Own Question
iram a
iram a, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1548
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
iram a is online now

I have a question in regards to uk citizenship, in uk, it is

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have a question in regards ***** ***** citizenship
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: it is about me and my son 10 years old we both have permanent residence since 2017
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Me and my son are bulgarian citizens my husband is non eu citizen with eu family visa

i am reviewing

you are eligible for citizenship since 2018 then what kind of information you need about citizenship?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
me and my son are eu national and holding pr residence since 2017. My husband is non eu but having eu family member visa. My husband will complete 5 years in uk on 5th of july 2019. My question is can i and my son apply for citizenship by naturalisation from now or do we have to wait my husband to complete his 5 years of residence (to become settled) in uk before the application.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My concern is about my son’s citizenship application. He is not born here and i am not sure if BOTH parents have to be PR before his application is submitted. Keep in mind that me and my son are using the online joined application for citizenship. Just not sure whether to send it or wait

If one of you have pr thats enough for your son. This is not necessary to have PR for both of you. You can send it now. if you need further help write me back.

i hope it will help you.

please give positive rating if you like my answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can i share with you this


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the Uk
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was ready to submit the application but this paragraph worries me

can you please explain what kind of worries you have about this paragraph?

please explain then i will answer you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When it says both parents. The last sentence
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or may be i am misinterpreting it


please consider this last line of this paragraph. i have highlighted this line.

"or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK"

according to this last line of the above paragraph if one parent has citizenship, settled status then it is enough for the child to be registered as British Citizen.

yes, you are misinterpreting.

i hope it will help you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

if this is helpful, please give 5 star rating for my efforts to help you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there any other proof from the home office website indicating that if only one parent is holding PR or settled status is enough for a child born abroad to obtain british citizenship.

Above written statement is proof, this statement is a regulation and you cannot have bigger proof than above statement.

i believe this is enough for an application to be successful.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the paragraph said the (or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK) that means one of them is British citizenship and other parents is settled

This paragraph does not apply to you. Above mentioned paragraph, applies if you child wants to get passport straightaway or citizenship by registration without having PR. You and your son are going to apply citizenship after PR so if you have spent 12 months after your PR then you both can apply for citizenship.

i hope it will help you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks once again. I am sorry for insisting on detailed explanation, but i am worried to apply and lose the fees. I read the whole citizenship guide and did not find any info about our case. Is there a section or document that i can refer to in regards ***** ***** info you just gave me.

1- how long you and your son are her in the UK?

2- when you got PR, they issued letter with that status confirming when you are eligible for citizenship.

Give full immigration history.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we came in uk on january 2012.
We both have separate letters stating that the permanent residence is given on 7.01.2017
It say; you must have held permanent residence status in the uk for at least 12 months when you apply

So you are eligible for citizenship since 07/01/2018 in your own capacity. your son is not taking citizenship at your dependant. He is going to take citizenship in his own capacity. you no need to provide your passport with his application because he got PR same as you got PR. If his mother or father is British or not, it does not matter.

i hope it will help you

iram a and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much have convinced me 100%