How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9983
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Jim, Just wanted to pick you brain again in regard to

This answer was rated:

Hi Jim,Just wanted to pick you brain again in regard to progressing to the next stage of this case on the boat engineer. I wanted to ask if I request this to be transferred to the High Court bailiffs does that mean that I can’t use the other options if the money can’t be recovered?This was your advice from last time:Hi, thank you.
There are a number of ways to enforce. My preference would be to transfer the CCJ to the High Court to avail of the high court enforcement officers (they can seize assets and break entry to premises). I can recommend this firm who will simply add their fee to your CCJ :
I will summarise the options available to you :
1. Apply to court to order the defendant attends a hearing for questioning and confirm what they can pay. You do this by filling in and sending form N316 with fee of £55 payable to HMCTS:
2. Instruct county court bailiffs to attend and collect. Fill in and send form N323 (
A fee of £77 is payable to HMCTS.
Alternatively (as above) you can apply to transfer the CCJ to the High Court so that you can use the high court enforcement officers (who have far greater powers than county court bailiffs including seizure of goods to sell at auction and forcing entry to premises).
3. If he is employed, apply for attachment of earnings order :
£110 fee payable to HMCTS.
4. Apply to freeze his bank account and the court orders the funds to repay the CCJ :
£110 fee payable.
5. Apply for a charging order on his property so the money is repaid when the property sells:
£110 fee payable.
I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.Thanks,Cath

Morning, yes you can still use the other options but the case would transferred to the high court instead - their enforcement officers will do everything they can to recover the money owed. You can still pursue the application for the bank account freeze which may be an effective option - let me know if you need any further help with this.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jim, is that the bank account of the director?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or the company?

It'd be the company's bank as the company is named in proceedings (I cannot recall if you also sued the director too?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven’t sued the director. I guess my concern is that there won’t be £15ks worth of things left in the company. Perhaps I should have sued the director instead?

They may be able to defend the case saying they only have limited liability - you can sue them if they have breached their duties under the companies act legislation, for example if they continue trading the company knowing it is insolvent. You have done the correct thing anyway - if you proceed with enforcement.

JimLawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, that’s helpful. I’ll look at proceeding with the enforcement this weekend.