How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15075
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

When an instructed solicitor is on holiday can the hourly

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,
When an instructed solicitor is on holiday can the hourly rate of a Senior Partner be charged instead of the instructed solicitors rate.
Also, the solicitor did not attend two*****hearings but instead instructed a barrister. This has worked out to be quite a significant additional cost as the barrister was retained on a day rate basis, plus the solicitor charging to prepare a handover for the barrister.
Is this an acceptable practice, as I do not understand why the client should be financially penalised for solicitors holidays but more importantly, not making a court date and instruction a barrister to attend instead at additional cost to the client.
JA: Where is the partner? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps has the partner taken so far?
Customer: He took over whilst the instructed solicitor was on annual leave. As a consequence, I was charged a Senior Partners rate for reviewing the file etc.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


Were you informed of the change of acting solicitor?

Do the terms and conditions state that other fee earners will also set on the file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was aware and the terms and conditions do state other fee earners may work on the file. However, I was charged for a Senior Partner to do no more than review the file, if it was reviewed at all. The largest additional cost has been the stand-in barrister on two occasions who charged at a day rate for a 30-minute hearing.


What can you do is file a complaint to the firm directly, if you do not get a satisfactory response, you can estate the matter to the legal ombudsman.

The alternative is to make an application to have the costs assessed by a costs draftsman.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

INC Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you