Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am being investigated for bullying at work, which I didn’t

I am being investigated for bullying at work , which I didn’t know I was doing it . I am a manager and thought I supported my team well . I do suffer with anxiety and stress , but I cope . I don’t know what to do
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I was off for a holiday , I go back tomorrow and been told don’t go to the office come to reception where Hr and my union rep will meet to discuss
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee , been with company for 24 years , and shining record
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No , just need advice please
Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Although there is no legal definition of bullying, the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) defines it as “offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means that undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.” Examples given are: spreading malicious rumours, or insulting someone by word or behaviour; exclusion or victimisation; unfair treatment; overbearing supervision or other misuse of power or position; making threats or comments about job security without foundation; deliberately undermining a competent worker by overloading and constant criticism; preventing individuals progressing by intentionally blocking promotion or training opportunities.

At this stage you are just under investigation. Being placed on investigation is not an automatic assumption of guilt and does not amount to disciplinary action. Whilst it can lead to disciplinary action, it is the first step in the process.

If the investigation gathers enough evidence to justify taking disciplinary action, the employee has the right to be informed in advance of the allegations and evidence to be used against them and be given the opportunity to prepare to defend themselves at the forthcoming hearing.

On the other hand, if the investigation does not find enough evidence to justify a disciplinary, the employer should allow the employee to return to work as normal.

For now, cooperate with the investigation and explain to the employer what you did and why you did it and how your anxiety may have affected your judgment. If anything they should look to support you with that and not go as far as dismissal, although you may get a warning for your actions and be advised not to do them again.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very much for your response . How do I continue with this once I have had my first interview . Thank you

You can reply on here for any short follow up questions