How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7116
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I`ve bought a car from a private seller, which was not road

This answer was rated:

I`ve bought a car from a private seller, which was not road worthy but still managed to pass MOT checks. I`ve contacted the seller to ask my money back as soon as the car started to act funny (was in the same day that i`ve purchased) and he decliend any of my propositions, even got to threats. What is best for me to do now? And how can i recover my money?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: State ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Local borough of Hounslow, London I`ve called the police and filled a complain. Obviously, they could not do anything since was a private sale. Now i`m looking to get advices and see what is the best approach
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i will explain once that i`m connected


When did you buy the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesterday, 12th of June 2019
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you received my message?

Thank you. How much was it and how did you pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1750 pounds, paid in cash

Unfortunately as you bought privately, the onus is on you to check that the car is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose before you buy it. Unless you had an agreement with the seller that if the car was faulty, they would take it back, I am afraid your rights are very limited.

As the seller has refused to take the car back, you may go to court if you feel that the seller misrepresented the quality of the car or did not describe it accurately.

You may take the risk of taking the car back to the seller's premises and putting the keys through his post box with a letter demanding your money back or you will go to court.

If they refuse to pay you, you may file a court claim online at

All the best. Please leave a positive rating if this is helpful.

UKSolicitorJA and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you