UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I`ve bought a car from a private seller, which was not road

I`ve bought a car from a private seller, which was not road worthy but still managed to pass MOT checks. I`ve contacted the seller to ask my money back as soon as the car started to act funny (was in the same day that i`ve purchased) and he decliend any of my propositions, even got to threats. What is best for me to do now? And how can i recover my money?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: State ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Local borough of Hounslow, London I`ve called the police and filled a complain. Obviously, they could not do anything since was a private sale. Now i`m looking to get advices and see what is the best approach
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i will explain once that i`m connected

When did you buy the car?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
yesterday, 12th of June 2019
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Did you received my message?

Thank you. How much was it and how did you pay?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
1750 pounds, paid in cash

Unfortunately as you bought privately, the onus is on you to check that the car is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose before you buy it. Unless you had an agreement with the seller that if the car was faulty, they would take it back, I am afraid your rights are very limited.

As the seller has refused to take the car back, you may go to court if you feel that the seller misrepresented the quality of the car or did not describe it accurately.

You may take the risk of taking the car back to the seller's premises and putting the keys through his post box with a letter demanding your money back or you will go to court.

If they refuse to pay you, you may file a court claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All the best. Please leave a positive rating if this is helpful.