UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I exchanged on a new build flat conversion almost exactly a

Good morning, I exchanged on a new build flat conversion almost exactly a year ago with completion date of 31st January. The contract also had a 4 calendar month clause in case of delay in completion. My solicitor received the 14 day notice to complete on the 31st May (exactly 4 calendar months after the original date). My view is that completion is 14 days over the 4 calendar months and I wish to withdraw and receive my full deposit back, in legal terms do I have a case?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I am not satisfied with my conveyancer but I have explained my reasons for withdrawing. They are corresponded with the contractor's solicitor who say that they have complied with contract and if I withdraw I would be breaking the contract.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Aylesbury
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The main reason I want to withdraw is that the contractor changed the layout of the property, swapping a bedroom and cupboard around making the bedroom an odd shape and they moved the front door and front window to accommodate this. They did not consult me on that.

You may try and get out of the purchase by making a claim of misrepresentation as you thought you were entering to a purchase of a particular layout and you were instead given a layout which you had not agreed to.

Please see here for background reading in misrepresentation: https://www.lawteacher.net/modules/contract-law/vitiating-factors/misrepresentation/lecture.php

All the best. Please leave a positive rating if this is helpful.