UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a member of a non profit making club and which owns a

Customer Question

I am a member of a non profit making club and which owns a number of parcels of land .Each piece of land is vested in the names 4 trustees .One of the trustees wishes to resign (he is well over 80 years old) and now has nothing to do with the club.I have been asked to become a trustee .I am concerned that this will bring with it possible ,and onerous ,legal responsibilities.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Cumbria in the north of England.All the property is in Cumbria.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: At the moment none.Al the property is owned by the club and at the moment it is registered in the names of the Trustees.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats all. I may just be being over cautious but I recall some years ago(+20?) I was a Governor at a local school and we arranged indemnity insurance (a little knowledge can be dangerous) in order to protect the then Trustees.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Happy to wait.Thanks.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 months ago.

Yes, as a Trustee, you have various fiduciary and legal duties and obligations and you would be personally liable. If you are not willing to accept such liability, you should decline the offer.

May I help further?