31090051

My landlords threatened to put up a to let sign if i dont

Customer Question

My landlords threatened to put up a to let sign if i dont pay their lawyers fees.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Glasgow g116ba
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a lawyer dealing with the lease but it was him that said they where going to put up the to let sign if i don't pay their lawyers fees for my new lease
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did pay for the lawyers fees for the last 5 year lease .also ive try to put my bank details in to go any futher but the post code part i cant do
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Is this a commercial lease?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't pay for their lawyers fees last time
Expert:  JGM replied 5 months ago.

It is not usual nowadays for a tenant to pay anything other than the registration dues for the lease or any extension of the lease. However it is a matter of negotiation. Is the landlord essentially saying that if you don’t pay his fees he will let the property elsewhere? If so there is no actual law that says he can’t do this but he would have to serve notice that the lease is at an end and take steps to have you removed. In thregards ***** ***** it would appear bizarre for the landlord to risk losing an established tenant over the issue of legal fees. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.