ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS IF I LIVED WITH MY BOYFRIEND 2.5 YEARS,

Customer Question

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS IF I LIVED WITH MY BOYFRIEND 2.5 YEARS
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: GOLDERS GREEN NW11
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: NONE
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 3 months ago.

In what way?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
MY SON WHO IS 32 LIVED WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND FOR 2.5 YEARS AS BOYFRIEND & GIRLFRIEND
HE DECIDED TO END THE RELATION SHIP AS HE IS NOT GONG TO MARRY HER AND SHE WAS PRESSURIZING TO KNOW WERE THE RELATION SHIPS ARE HEADING TO
WHEN HE TOLD HER TODAY HE WOULD LIKE TO END THE RELATION SHIP SHE STARTED TO TALK ABOUT HER RIGHTS
DOES SHE HAVE ANY RIGHTS?

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. The starting point is that if they are no married there is no rights to anything from the other party unless there is an agreement or indeed a child. Cohabitation does not automatically give you rights to the home you share. Problems can occur, particularly when one of you moves into a property the other owns or rents.

If the property is rented, only the tenant(s) named in the rental agreement generally has the right to live there - and has responsibility for paying the rent. If you are not a named tenant:

• you are likely to need the landlord's consent to move in;
  • the named tenant can ask you to move out at any time (after giving reasonable notice);
  • you have no right to stay if the named tenant decides to leave (though you might be able to agree a new tenancy with the landlord).

Similar rules apply if the property is owned by one of you. The property owner is the only one entitled to live there - anyone else can be asked to leave. The owner can also make decisions - such as selling the property - without consulting their partner.

However, even where only one of you owns the property, the other may have some rights (eg to a share of the money if the property is sold). This can happen if:

• the owner has agreed in writing that the non-owner is entitled to a share of the home;
  • the non-owner contributes financially (eg paying part of the mortgage) to the property on the understanding that this entitles him or her to a share;
  • the non-owner has acted to their own detriment (eg giving up a job) on the understanding that this entitles him or her to a share;
  • a partner with children applies to the court for the right to continue living there to ensure the children's welfare.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
THEY USED TO LIVE IN MY SON FLAT, BUT NOW MOVED INTO RENTED ACCOMMODATION.
ALL THE FURNITURE, APPLIANCES ETC... BELONG TO MY SON THEY ALSO BOUGHT A DOG WORTH £6,000 WHICH HE FULLY PAID FOR. ALL WAS BOUGHT FROM MY SON MONEY.
DOES SHE HAVE ANY RIGHTS ON ANY OF THAT?

From what you have written it does not appear that she has any claim - the key is what she/he paid for (where him - then his) and whether there was an agreement between them. I hope that this makes sense and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
THERE WAS NO AGREEMENT BETWEEN THEM
HE NEVER PROMISED TO MARRY HER AND SHE KNOW THAT HE HAVE DOUBTS
ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE RELATIONSHIP
THEY MOVE TO A RENTED FLAT A MONTH AGO BOTH NAMES ON THE CONTRACT
2 YEARS CONTRACT WITH 6 MONTH BRAKE CLAUSE
CAN HE SERVE A NOTICE TO QUIT AFTER 6 MONTH ?
WHAT HAPPEN IF HE WANTS TO SERVE NOTICE AND SHE WOULD LIKE TO STAY?

On that basis she has no entitlement.If the property is in joint names then one of them would have to leave - he can surrender the tenancy at the time of the break clause.

Hi Justanswer works on a rating system and so that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. But this lets me close the case and not need to email you again. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Many thanks​

Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 months ago.

So that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. Thanks - just a "Yes, thanks"