12826847

I am sorry but this not about a home improvement but a

Customer Question

I am sorry but this not about a home improvement but a safety issue I had in my new assisted living appartment. I would be grateful if you have the time to read it through and give me any thoughts and advice about what happened to me and how much electric current I might have received. I know this is a lot to ask, especially as I don't know you or your company but I would really appreciate a qualified electrician thoughts and advice about what happened to me. I moved into an assisted living accommodation with a very highly recommend builder. I was assured everything, especially safety had been checked. I am disabled with breast and bone cancer so I have to be extra careful. On the first night I used the shower for the first time, I let it run a bit to allow it to get hot, I put my hands under to check the temperature was ok. I got into the shower and I noticed there was a lot of water in the shower tray, I thought the plug might be blocked ? I held the shower attachment with a wet hand and i reached for the shower rail with the other wet hand to secure myself so I didn't fall of loose my balance. As soon as I touched the rail I felt large amounts of electricity going through and round all my body, I don't know how long this was for, but the next thing I know I was thrown backwards and hit the back of the shower wall and I found myself on the floor of the in shower tray which was full of water. The power had blown and it was pitch black. I was disoriented and in shock, I did not move straight away, it was only when I felt the shower water flooding the bathroom floor I moved. In the darkness I managed to grab a towel and crawl to where my phone was. My sister and husband came and turned the shower off, he managed to put the lights back on. In the morning I told management what had happened. Two of three electricians came to investigate and it turns out that the towel rail was fitted whilst the electric was off and nobody had checked it afterwards. The towel rail had been screwed directly into the live cooker wire !!
The water in the shower tray had not gone away because it turns out the shower tray had been positioned imcorrectly.So I was wet, holding a steel shower attachment, which was on and running water, whilst I was standing in a shower tray which was full of water as it was fitted incorrectly, whilst my other hand was holding a steel wet towel rail which had been screwed directly into the live cooker wire which was on the other side of the wall. I believe I made a circuit which allowed the electricity to go through me, is that correct, please ? I am trying to decide if I have a case to sue them, i have no knowledge about electricity, currents and curcuits. Can you give me some idea, if possible how much electrical current do you think was going through my body? and how long do you think it took before the electric cut itself off.I really appreciate you reading through my long explanation and I would be very grateful if you have any comments or advice. The builders have admitted liability but they are trying to minimise how much of a electric shock I had and for how long. I only know what I felt. I don't think they are telling me the truth? The apartments are all new and they have not sold them all yet, so they want to minimise what happened as it would be bad publicity. Many, many thanks for your patients and your time.
Regards Shirley
email address is***@******.***
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I feel that perhaps you should know the builders of this brand new development is McCarthy and Stone. If I can help you any further please e mail me or message me on this site and I will be happy to help. Thank you. Shirley
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your response, i will give you a couple more days to answer my question. Please be honest with me, if you are unable to help please say so. I await your next reply. Shirley Gibson
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore maybe delayed in replying.

you say they have admitted liabilty - what was their offer?