Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have been working at a salon as a therapist for a year,

I have been working at a salon as a therapist for a year, self employed. I have just had one week off as I was admitted to the priory due to a nervous breakdown. I kept the owner updated twice in that week, explaining I would be able to come back to work but would need to be able to attend two therapy sessions a week (1 hour long each)
She then text me saying she had no choice but to end our working relationship.
We have never had a ‘contract’ between us.
She is now saying I need to pay her back for outstanding clients treatments which have been paid to me and she has already had a percentage of. I also have a card machine which I specifically got to work at the salon which has a cancellation charge of £2,500.
I would like some guidance on where I stand legally in this situation as I feel it is unjust for me to bare such huge financial and practical implications when I have only had a week off for very valid reasons and am able to continue working. Within a week I have lost my job and now face to have to sell my house.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Lu

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It’s been a over a year working in the salon

Are you self employed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Has she terminated the arrangement then? Did you have a written contract with her?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she’s cancelled the arrangement but there wasn’t a contract in place

If there was no contract then you can't be charged for these things. I would completely ignore her and say you have taken legal advice and there is no contractual basis upon which she can require the payment.

If she attempts to bring a claim then you should defend as without a written agreement she will not succeed.

Is there anything further you would like to know?

Hello do you have any further questions about this situation please?

Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only