How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask iram a Your Own Question
iram a
iram a, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1833
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
iram a is online now

I have lived and worked in the UK from 2007 and due to a

This answer was rated:

I have lived and worked in the UK from 2007 and due to a school’s error and did send in a form I had to start again and in 2016 I was almost ready to get my indefinite to remain I got a job offer in the UAE to be with my partner. I returned to UK in 2018. All occasions I had to pay a lot of money. My partner U are now married and I am going back to the UAE in August. I have been in the UK from 2004 and I have contributed to taxes etc and I have completed and passed the UK test. I have applied for the indefinite leave to remain and lost that money as I realized the school did not do their bit. The UK has been my home for so long and I wanted to know if there a chance I would be considered for UK citizenship. I hold a South African passport. I am hoping you could perhaps help. Thank you
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: South African. I have a work permit at the moment
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just someone to kindly help.

can you please explain what is your school mistake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not hand me the letter to register me and I had no idea I applied for an extension the uk given me and then I paid and went for the indefinite leave to remain only to realize they did not hand me the paperwork


i can help you for your concerns.

As you have explained that you left UK in 2016 and came back in 2018. it is almost 2 years, you have spent out of the UK.

for ILR purpose, an applicant should spend consecutive 5 years in UK. In these years, an applicant can live 180 days in each year in last 5 years.

i hope it will help you to understand your situation.

please give positive rating for my efforts to answer your question.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I wanted to know as I spent over 12 years in the UK and if there were any special considerations?

If you lived consecutive 5 years in the UK and you could live 180 days per year then you would be able to apply ILR.

180 days outside UK per year

i hope it will help you.

please you give 5 star to encourage me to help people

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is information I get on the website I wanted to know if there are special circumstances and look at the time and money contributions made will hold in good faith if it is cut and dry and have to start my five year count again then there’s no point calling and wasting further money. Thank you for your time


iram a and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never rate 5 stars