How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7358
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I have been caught at work stealing scratchcards and lottery

Customer Question

I have been caught at work stealing scratchcards and lottery tickets. I was also found on cctv to take £20 from the till, although I cannot remember this occasion and I think I Was in the process of changing change with another till when I forgot.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff, Wales, uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been suspended. I have been advised my my union representative to hand in my notice to resign with immediate effect when I am brought in for my hearing at work
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if they will press for criminal charges, or willing to let me leave
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 5 months ago.


Obviously, I cannot predict precisely what your employers will or will not do.

Some employers will report the matter to the police as a matter of policy.

However, many employers will not and the reason is that employers are concerned that their systems were not tight enough to stop you succeeding in doing it.

The amount involved is relatively small and I suspect that the employer is unlikely to want to draw attention to the fact you were able to do this in the first place. You should resign and offer to repay the amount involved once you are able to. They cannot force you to stay.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise , please either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes