UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I'm about to sign a tenancy agreement. It says I can't run a

I'm about to sign a tenancy agreement. It says I can't run a business or register a company from the premises. I'm self employed and sell mainly graphic and photography services (I also have a (very small) online craft business. What should I do? Thank you.
Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I'm in the United Kingdom (London). No local attorney.
Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Nothing. I haven't sign the tenancy agreement yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I ask how much this service cost?
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost £10 to £100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Can I use this advice as an actual 'legal advice'? (Sending it to my landlord and the agent responsible for the property?)

Unfortunately, it would appear that the tenancy agreement would restrict you from carrying out your online services from home due to the restriction against running a business from the premises.

You may inform the landlord or the agent of your trade and if they refuse to delete the provision from the tenancy agreement, you should look for another property to rent.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating if helpful. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. This is not what I've read online actually. Do you know about the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 (section 35)?

Yes, S. 35 appears here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/26/section/35/enacted