How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6397
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I'm about to sign a tenancy agreement. It says I can't run a

This answer was rated:

I'm about to sign a tenancy agreement. It says I can't run a business or register a company from the premises. I'm self employed and sell mainly graphic and photography services (I also have a (very small) online craft business. What should I do? Thank you.
Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I'm in the United Kingdom (London). No local attorney.
Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Nothing. I haven't sign the tenancy agreement yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I ask how much this service cost?
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost £10 to £100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Can I use this advice as an actual 'legal advice'? (Sending it to my landlord and the agent responsible for the property?)


Unfortunately, it would appear that the tenancy agreement would restrict you from carrying out your online services from home due to the restriction against running a business from the premises.

You may inform the landlord or the agent of your trade and if they refuse to delete the provision from the tenancy agreement, you should look for another property to rent.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating if helpful. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. This is not what I've read online actually. Do you know about the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 (section 35)?

Yes, S. 35 appears here:

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you