ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

I am breaking up with my partner we have a child together.

Customer Question

Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, I wanted advice on whether I can stay in the house. It’s a bought property in my partners name
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I’ve not asked for that
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much am I entitled to with regards ***** ***** much I’ve put into the house?
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 3 months ago.

Are you married?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No we have been living together for 3 years
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have also been paying the mortgage for the past 8 months

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. From what you have described you would have an interest in the property - it would very much depend on the basis of any agreement as to the share of such an interest - the fact that you have been paying the mortgage certainly suggests that you have an equitable interest in the property even if the mortgage/deeds are in their name alone. It is often a negotiation as to what the share is in the property - happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just want to stay in the house while it is being sold, can I do this as we have a child together and my funds are tired to the house.

There is no reason why you can not stay in the property as you now clearly have an interest in the property. The courts (should he seek to remove you) would also be keen to ensure that the child is being properly housed at this time. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I ask him to leave?

You can, but equally he can say no. If there has been domestic violence then you can apply for an occupation order to have him removed by the courts. Please rate 5 stars

Hi Justanswer works on a rating system and so that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. But this lets me close the case and not need to email you again. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Many thanks​

So that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. Thanks - just a "Yes, thanks"