Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a tax return for the end of 2018 saying I have paid

Customer Question

I have a tax return for the end of 2018 saying I have paid no tax but I have not been working since July 2017, also received a penalty notice
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Redbridge
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I replied on the comment section of the form they sent through telling them I have not worked and asking if I could have a reply as to why I have to pay after that a few days later I got the penalty notice
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That the £100 penalty has been paid now they have sent another penalty through saying its gone up to £300
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Did you submit a return with £0, even though you had not been working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did not I have no idea how to do that as when I was employed NY previous employer did all of my taxes

I assume you had a tax return to submit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't recall one unless that was the form that I wrote back to then and sent back on the comment section letting them know I have been out of work since July 2017, asking why I have to pay tax when in not in work

That does not matter. If you are sent a tax return you need to complete it, even if it shows £0

That is a legal requirement.

That may be why you have the penalty. So you should ask HMRC whether they sent one.

If they did, you know why you got it.

You can appeal, but you can do it online at:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/penalty

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much for the help

Can I assist with anything else today?