Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We are in the redundacy period. I have been offered a

We are in the redundacy period. I have been offered a cleaning Supervisors roll with less money,hours(27) and duties. At present I am Housekeeper on 30 hours per week with a higher hourly pay.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Do I have to accept this position! or can I go for statutory redundancy
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee, and I do not belong to a Union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The position they have offered,they want me to clean as well.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
20years

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If there is a redundancy situation, the employer has a duty to make a reasonable search for suitable alternative employment (SAE). If such positions exist they must then be offered to those at risk of redundancy. The objective is to avoid having to make someone redundant and keep them in a job.

There are two possible outcomes of this:

· The employee accepts the offer – in this case their employment will continue in the new role and thee would be no redundancy

· The employee rejects the offer – if that happens and the employee expects to still be made redundant, whether they do depends on the suitability of the offer and the reasonableness of their rejection, which I will discuss below.

If the offer is considered suitable and the employee unreasonably rejects it, they will be deemed to have resigned and would not be made redundant or be entitled to a redundancy payment. If the offer is unsuitable and they reasonably reject it, they can still be made redundant and receive redundancy pay.

Reasonableness is based on the subjective reasons the employee has for rejecting it, such as personal circumstances, health, family commitments, etc. Suitability is based on both objective and subjective criteria, with the most common factors that make an offer unsuitable as follows:

· Job content/status – drop in status (even if pay remains unchanged), changes in duties, which do not match the employee’s skills

· Pay and other benefits – significant drop in earnings/benefits (e.g. basic pay, bonuses, overtime, commission, etc)

· Working hours – change in shift pattern, significant extension/reduction of working hours

· Location – new location making it unreasonable to travel to the new place of work

· Job prospects – going from permanent to temporary or fixed-term work

Where an offer of alternative employment has been made and its terms and conditions are different to the employee's current terms, they have the right to a 4-week trial period. This is an opportunity for both employer and employee to determine its suitability. If during the trial period they decide that the job is not suitable they should tell their employer straight away and terminate the trial period. Assuming the above criteria apply and the offer was not suitable and was reasonably rejected, they should still be made redundant from their original job and receive redundancy pay.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was waiting to answer after I had interview with my line manager, which was supposed to be today but has been moved to tomorrow.

Ok no problem, will await your reply after the meeting

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been for the meeting and we have agreed that I do 4 week trial, and redundancy if not happy. Thank you so much for your help

Good to hear and all the best

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! once again, for all your help

My pleasure

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave £5.00 for a trial period on the 18th June with justanswer which I agreed. On the 28th June a further £40.00 was taken from my account which I did not give permission. Please can you look into this.

Hi please contact customer services via the Help section on the site as I do not deal with membership issues. Thanks