Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am suffering with depression and took clothing from work

I am suffering with depression and took clothing from work what do I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been suspended and want to harm myself

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please could you tell me how long you have worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One year
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry can't talk too upset
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I go to the police with the item of clothing

The main thing for now is that you do not think about harming yourself. If it appears that way then I have to refer this to our care team who will deal with the emotional issues but you won’t get the legal help you need. So my priority it just t ensure that this is not your mind at present so that I can continue with the legal assistance, are you ok to confirm that please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will be ok

ok great thanks for confirming. So was it a case of taking a new item of clothing from the employer's premises (like shoplifting basically)? Were you caught with it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
like shoplifting but not fought with it just accused
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry caught

Do they have any evidence on you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They say I am on cctv taking out of the store

Ok thanks. I would not get involved with the police about it, not yet anyway. This is for the employer to decide and if they are not going to report you then you will unnecessarily be doing this yourself. The main thing is to speak to the employer about this, not deny what you did if they have evidence and basically explain what drove you to do this. If you are clear that this was caused by a serious depressive episode and that it was not a malicious act , plus you are remorseful and apologetic, they may not take it any further. You may not necessarily keep your job, but at least it would avoid the potential of this going further with the police.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you

All the very best