Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

A gentleman has been posting malicious comments aimed at my

Hi a gentleman has been posting malicious comments aimed at my daughter on Facebook. I have reported to Facebook is there anything else I can do as they are really quite nasty
Assistant: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Wales
Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: She’s only 15 and the gentleman in question is in his late 40’s so other than reporting to Facebook nothing
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes these comments where made about a local drama group my daughter attends, this gentleman came to see them perform ( his daughter also attends) and he has basically wished my daughter dead

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

Have you discussed this with the head of the drama school/group?

and what exactly has he said?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are sending him a letter to explain his comments. It was my daughters last performance with this group on Saturday he posted ‘ding dong the wicked witch is dead’ and then he went onto wish that all the drama groups committee where dead

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. I would refer you to a short article written by the police on this matter and that will help hopefully with your options on what to do further:

“If a person sends threatening/abusive/offensive messages to another person via Facebook, Twitter, or any other social networking site, they could be committing an offence. The most relevant offences are 'harassment' and 'malicious communications'.

For harassment to be committed, there must be a 'course of conduct' (i.e. two or more related occurrences). The messages do not necessarily have to be violent in nature, but must be oppressive and need to have caused some alarm or distress.

If there has only been a single communication, which would be insufficient for the offence of harassment (above), there could be an offence relating to malicious communications. For such an offence to be committed, a message must be sent to another person (or sent via a public communications network) that is indecent, grossly offensive, obscene or threatening/menacing.

You can report either of these to your local police force who will be able to confirm whether an offence has been committed, based on the full facts and your individual situation. In order to assist the police with their investigation you must not respond to the message as it may encourage the sender and make the situation worse, also you could take a screen shot of the message so if it gets deleted later there will still be a record of what was said.

However, depending on the circumstances and the nature of the messages, you may wish to initially make a report to Facebook/Twitter etc., as they have processes in place for such situations, and may be able to simply remove the content and/or close down the person's account.”

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks

All the best