Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Is it legal to charge you 18 on your credit card to buy

Is it legal to charge you 18 on your credit card to buy something
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coventry I had to use it to pay towards a car which was £18 and I used £700
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Told the garage it wasn’t right he said it was legal also changed me£100 administration fee
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Just to clarify, the seller charged you £18 for making payment with your credit card, in addition to the £700 you had to pay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Plus£100 administration fee which was not mention
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi I can’t aff the phone call
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Afford

OK no problem at all. What did you buy and was the administration fee charged when you went to pay with your card?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was for a 3000 bmw for my son. Yes when I gave him my card.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He said you owe me 741. I asked him why he it was that much. He said 40 was card fees and 100 . Administration fred

I am still slightly unsure of that the main issues is – did the retailer charge you extra for you using your credit card to have to pay for the purchase?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he did

Thank you. According to the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012, it is no longer lawful for retailers to charge you a fee to just use a credit card for payment. So whilst retailers can increase their general prices to cover these charges, they cannot make a separate, one-ff charge to allow you to pay by credit card. They are able to add an admin fee but only if this is justifiable and it applies to all other payment methods, not just credit cards.

Does this answer your query?

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Is was as you daid

All the best