UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Along my shopping route, I was trying on sunglasses and

Customer Question

Along my shopping route, I was trying on sunglasses and walked around with one pair in my hand, I was in the shop to do a return but didn't have proof of purchase so they denied my return, I asked to speak to a store manager and she confirmed they couldn't do that. I went ahead a purchased a top but they didn't have contactless and then my card declined using the chip, getting flustered as the a/c was broken I called my bank who is issuing a new card as they said it was damaged, I then tired my new credit card but forgot the pin. I said to the manager I'll just go and get cash from the bank across the street with construction in the main st, I had to follow the path around at the time of leaving the store I had the sunglasses with me but I was just oblivious. A few moments later three men approached me and I panicked and tried to escape them. I was brought back to the shop the police were called and the store security said I was caught on CCTV taking the glasses and trying to do a fraudulent return...? The police told me I would be banned from that store plus a whole bunch of others which I think is excessive I am not a criminal. On top of that, they said I must attend a voluntary interview at the station. I am guessing in the meantime the store will give them evidence. In hindisght, I should have reacted differently but I was recently assaulted so it was just a trigger and I thought I needed to run. Not sure what I should do now.
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am a lawyer and will try and help.

To ease your situation, please attend the voluntary interview to assist the police with their enquiries. You are not under arrests at this time but note that the interview will be recorded and it may be used as evidence, so proceed with caution. You also have the right to access independent legal advice and you're free to leave the police station unless you are arrested.

If you do not attend the voluntary interview you may be arrested and have to give a standard interview whilst in custody and risk not receiving legal advice from your chosen solicitor. Do not treat the voluntary interview any less serious than an interview under caution. Obtain independent legal advice to guide you through the process.

I hope my answer has been useful to you. I would appreciate a 5 star rating and an acceptance of my answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already got this answer on google and didn't have to pay for it...so it's actually not really of any use.

I am sorry my answer was not of much help to you. It seems you know what to do. However, if you would like to specifically clarify what issues you need addressing then please do so and I will be happy to assist if I can.