F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I was wrongly advised by the Barclays team members at least

Customer Question

I was wrongly advised by the Barclays team members at least on four occasions after asking ...do I go into a particular bank and who do I go to in particular...so I spent money and time to travel to London to have my funds transferred. I went into a branch ...any branch ...as they suggested...sat with a banker ..any banker ...and was told at the end all is done...so I left the bank thinking that trip was successful...only to be told a while later via email that my 87 year old mother who the account is joined with ...still had to send information ...this is not right at all..I will have the information sent ...somehow as she is not strongly mobile...but they made me waste time an d money.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just spoke to someone on the phone who said they will lodge a complaint for me...and possibly I may have my expenses refunded...but the team online just do not seem to care
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: This account is in London UK Barclays do not want to deal with over 50 something countries anymore So they closed my account and put it in a holding account After calling numerous times ..and being told the same thing over and over ...I decided to fly to London UK...so my mother would not have the harassment of doing anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if I have a case or if I should just drop it...i am so very angry at this whole process..usually I am a quiet person ...but I do not like injustice done
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore maybe delayed in replying.

Im sorry but you havnt told me what the actual problem is?

who's account was closed and why?

what is the issue with your mothers account?

and where are you living if not in UK?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mother and I live in Trinidad. Barclays closed the account as they do not want to deal with more than 50 international Countries again. I flew to London with all that they said was needed...even mu Mother's passport and ID that she gave to me. I was told after leaving the bank that all was well.. only to get an email later on when I got back to TT that all was not well

Thank you. What exactly is it that you were trying to do?

How much money were you trying to send from where to where?

Why?

Are you on the mandate to deal with your mother’s affairs?