ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

I have a nuisance neighbour livening above us on second

Customer Question

Hi I have a nuisance neighbour livening above us on second floor we live on ground floor
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No me my girl friend told my girl friends brother but he blames us all the time
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Ilford essex
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The niougbour is a bully
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 3 months ago.

Have you contacted the police?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. The first thing to do is to contact the police and raise a complaint of harassment against them, The police can serve a harassment or PIN notice on them. Harassment is both a criminal offence and a civil action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. This means that someone can be prosecuted in the criminal courts if they harass you. It also means you can take action against the person in the civil courts. Generally speaking harassment is behaviour which causes you distress or alarm.

The Act also says you must have experienced at least two incidents by the sameperson or group of people for it to be harassment.

It's the courts that decide if something is harassment under the Act. The courts will look at whether most people or a reasonable person would think the behaviour amounts to harassment.

If you’ve been the victim of harassment you can take action in the civil courts against the person harassing you. You need to make your claim within six years of when the harassment happened.

You can still take civil court action even if the person harassing you hasn’t been found guilty of a criminal offence. Your local council may also be able to help as many run harassment schemes. I hope this helps and please rate 5 stars

Hi Justanswer works on a rating system and so that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. But this lets me close the case and not need to email you again. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Many thanks​

Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 months ago.

So that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. Thanks - just a "Yes, thanks"