How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask iram a Your Own Question
iram a
iram a, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1824
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
iram a is online now

My ex-husband contacted me from Itaky asking for a divorce

This answer was rated:

hi my ex-husband contacted me from Itaky asking for a divorce certificate with article 39 I have downloaded it but am not sure how to fill it in.and what to send with it, does he have to do it or canI? oops sorry sent too soon how do they know where to send it back to or will they send it to both of us?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: we have a decree absolute issued in december from the family court at Bury st. Edmunds
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: He wants to re-marry and they have asked him for this no i understand we just need to fill in this D180 and send it off, but i am not clear how to do it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no how does this work?

i am reviewing


i can help you for your concerns.

For divorces in EU member states (except divorces in Denmark) if the application for the divorce was filed after 1 March 2001. For these divorces you can order the certificate referred to in Article 39 of the Council Regulation (EC) No. 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003(1) concerning judgements in matrimonial matters from the court which issued the divorce decree. This certificate together with the divorce decree absolute are EU-wide recognised as sufficient proof of a valid divorce.

As you have explained that your divorce finalised at Bury st. E dmunds. so, you should request to the court for article 39 order.

i hope it will help you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** understood, and I explained that I understand I need to fill out form D180 to do this, is this correct? also I don't quite understand how to fill out all the form and what I need to attach. there is a top corner bit that I'm not sure where to find this information. also who will the certificate be sent to? I do not need this my ex-husband does.

yes, this is the correct form.

you need to attach decree absolute with this form and must pay correct fee.

if you will apply then they will send you. if he wants to marriage then he should apply and he will get with his name at his address.

i hope it will help you.

please you give 5 star to encourage me to help people

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But when i download the form, there is no fee indicated and it doesn't specify who is applying. this is what is confusing me too.

Fee for form D180 is £60. You can add your name, address, phone number, they will call you to charge the fee.

You both have your details in the form so they will send certificate to both the parties of marriage.

i hope it will help you.

iram a and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you