12826847

I had a domestic with my ex last week and may have drunkenly

I had a domestic with my ex last week and may have drunkenly damaged her car.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No it was done last week, we are not married. She suspects its me but is making it hard for me to admit as I’m not sure what she can do. I just took the wipers off her car. I don’t know what the police can do if she gets them involved.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I want to apologise but I’m scared she may still go to the police. I’m not even sure I did it but I may have
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What can she do in terms of getting the police involved and can she demand I pay for the wipers or can she demand more plus I get a criminal record etc

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Do you have any previous?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Jo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No nothing at all
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m scared to admit it because I don’t know the cost of the damage and also if she could exaggerate the cost and then still report it to the police
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No violence took place. Just a very emotional night and in a drunken state. I’m not sure entirely if it was me but I can’t fully say it wasn’t. If it was I regret it and feel bad but don’t want her to use it against me. As in admit to it, pay for the damage and still go to the police. Can I be arrested, forced to pay huge fees etc

Thanks for the information

She might well exaggerate. Quite often they do. There is nothing that can be done about that now really. The only thing is that she will need to prove the damage and unless she is going to cause it herself that would be impossible.

They will probably just offer you a conditional caution anyway. If you pay for the damage then you would just be cautioned for criminal damage.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information. I will respond in the morning now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you and a caution doesn’t stay on your record, it’s like a “we will let you off this once but never do anything like this again”

It does stay on your record but it isn't a criminal conviction.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She said 2 days later that she crashed her car as a result of the wipers being taken off her car. I don’t know if it’s true or not, if it’s just a way to make me feel guilty further and admit to it. If it’s true can I be held responsible for her crashing her car because the wiper or wipers were missing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She didn’t mention she noticed the damage until 48 hours later and messaged me “I’ve just crashed my car, someone has taken the wipers off”
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel it’s mind games but what if :/

Yes, of course she is. This is classic female abuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I be held responsible if she did crash her car?

Only if she lies and says you caused it.

But then it would probably still be a conditional caution.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
be made to pay for damages beyond her wipers being pulled off, things like injury etc or like I did it with malicious intent for her to get hurt
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you mean she could say I caused the crash to the police because I pulled her wipers off?And thus then be made responsible for paying the damage of the crash not just the wipersOr do you mean she lies in another way
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Seeing as it happened 2 days after the wipers were taken off

It is possible that she could lie obviously.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can be forced to pay the full repairs of her car? Not just the wipers

Well anything is possible.

If her lies are believed that could happen.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I admit to her I did it and that I will pay for the damages can she still report me to the police even though I have apologise and paid repairs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Or should I say nothing and hope there is no cctv etc of me doing it so she has no proofSit around and wait. Hope it calms down and I can apologise etc in another way when it’s blown overI don’t know if to admit it not knowing she has proof. Pay the repairs and still have the police on meOrSay nothing and hope there is no evidence
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don’t know what to do
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What would you advise?

Yes, she can do that.

Yes, you probably should wait for police contact. No point in making admissions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Jo, I appreciate your advice

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/