C.Cornel
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
105439980

I have a bit of a problem with a video game company called

My name is ***** ***** i have a bit of a problem with a video game company called Valve.
First i need to appologize for the long text... There is a lot to explain...
I was banned from playing a game called Counter Strike: Global Offensive by a community based anti-cheat system (where players called Investigators view and review gameplay from other players that were reported in-game) for cheating without me actually cheating or using any kind of unfair advantage.
I have contacted Steam Support (Steam = Valve's Online Platform, from where the game can be downloaded and played) to ask for an explanation and to see their proof.
Overwatch (the community based anti-cheat system) has been known to fail miserably and even be abused by players/investigators.
This system, although great at spotting obvious stuff, fails when it comes to the complete lack of tools for investigators to spot harder cases of cheating simply because they only see what it's in front of them and they are also biased by their own in-game experiences (cheaters are everywhere in this game).
Some time ago i found out that the "evidence" of a ban falls under GDPR and it's considered personal information since it involves the account in question.
Also, as far as i know, in criminal court, when accused of something, the prosecution MUST present it's evidence.
What i need to do now is to file a legal complaint against them since i was banned without being guilty, i was not presented with any evidence, my support tickets were deleted (including the last ticket where i asked for the evidence) which leads me to believe that the "evidence" that they have is not exactly fool-proof, i was lied to in the support tickets where they told me that those bans are final (a professional player got his Overwatch ban removed), and honestly for wasting my time and patience for the last 2 months.
As far as i can see, this would be a pretty straight forward matter and can easily be solved, but they are keen on keeping appearances that Overwatch actually works by replying in a support ticket: "Removing Overwatch bans would reduce confidence in the Overwatch system and go against the trust we've placed in our users to accurately identify cheaters and griefers."
Their reply every time was: "Steam Support cannot remove the bans."
Since i live and work in the UK, i would not be able to be present at a trial in the US (where the company HQ is located) so i need to find an alternative way to get that ban removed and, hopefully, get them to rework a flawed and biased system.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted their Support System, Filed FTC and US based Customer Complaints
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Cornel. All the details are above. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

I do have experience on similar cases to yours, both against Riot Games and Valve, I suppose you are aware of both companies and their activities.

On my previous case, I was able to get an account unbanned due to the fact that the account had significant commercial value.

However, it might be pursuing your claim only if the account has significant commercial or personal value to you.

The easier option is simply to get / buy a new account.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The account is 11 years old... It had more than 5000 USD invested in it. The csgo ban makes it useless. The ban is also affecting a few friendships since the guys i used to play with, now think i am a cheater. I have made another account and repurchased csgo there, but my friends refuse to play with me. On the new account i have reached the highest possible rank (Global Elite) in less than 100 hours and if i were cheating, i would have been banned a long time ago.

Sure, I understand.

Your next step would be to send an official legal demand letter, this is how I have resolved similar cases to yours.

It's imperative for the letter to be written by a lawyer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how exactly can i do that? How would it work? How much would it cost?

No worries.

I will explain the procedure.

In accordance with the Just Answer terms, could you rate the initial answer and I will further address and explain how to proceed.

C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience: Senior Lawyer at Legal Group

You don't have to do anything, the procedure is handled by the law firm.

The costs for such a service is around £300-400 if the circumstances are rather complicated, this includes any further costs, postage, etc.

Based on my experience, you would have a rather high chance to obtain the result you are looking for, generally over 80% of such disputes are resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I looked around for a lawyer and they asked me for more than £1000... i don't have that kind of money...
Wouldn't it work if i write it and pay a lawyer to send it? It should be a lot cheaper...

I understand.

However, you have to realize the fact that you do not have the legal expertise and the experience required to perform such a service.

If you wish, the law firm that I am part of can draft and send the letter for the sum mentioned by me above.