How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6394
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

The deeds for my uncl'e flat, he purchased in 1997 are

This answer was rated:

The deeds for my uncl'e flat, he purchased in 1997 are incomplete. He recently died and we need the complete deeds before we can sell the flat. The solicitor who originally had then sold up several years ago. We are trying to check if the new solicitors have the deeds. If not, what can we do please?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The flat is in the process of being sold. I have signed my contract, but not dated yet and this was told to us today that the deeds were incomplete by the buyers solicitor going through the paperwork that my solicitor sent them
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Bournemouth
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Bournemouth


Please get in touch with the Solicitors Regulation Authority to see if they have details of whom your uncle's solicitor sold his business to as the deeds may possibly with the whoever acquired the business.

The SRA website is here:

If the property is registered, the land registry will have an electronic record of the deeds and the original deeds are strictly not required, see here:

You may also consider taking out indemnity insurance for lost title deeds e.g

Hope this helps. If so, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It isn't a business, it is just a residential flat being sold as such.

Yes, I am aware.

My reference to business is the solicitor's business.

UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you