chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My girlfriend is a US citizen, and is currently staying in

My girlfriend is a US citizen, and is currently staying in the UK with me. She is pregnant and wanted to know how she can now stay in the UK without going back to the US?
Assistant: What steps has your girlfriend taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your girlfriend live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: US
Assistant: Has your girlfriend talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We’re just unsure as what to do

When is the baby due?

When does her Visa expire?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometime after the 6 month visit
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she has no current visa
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All I want is to be happy with my girlfriend and our future baby

What do you mean she has no current Visa?

US Citizens are normally granted a 6 month visitors Visa at the port of entry.

I am assuming that she had a 6 month visitors Visa.

If this is the case, she may not be able to fly in any event as she would not be permitted to do so in the last trimester.

I would suggest that you first obtain a medical report and then apply for an extension of the visitors Visa to allow the birth to take place.

Once the child is born, she can apply for access to a child. Further details can be found at the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-access-rights-to-child-appendix-5-form-vaf4a

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She didn’t need a Visitor Visa to stay in the UK for up to 6 months

She would have been granted permission on arrival. She would not have necessary applied for a Visa before she travelled.

The rest of the Information still stands.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if my US girlfriend has my baby here in the UK, and the baby would be a British Citizen as I am a British Citizen. Would she have the right to stay here, in the UK? But, what if the baby is due after the 6 months stay?

The baby would be a British citizen as you are.

If the baby is born after 6 months from the date of her arrival, she would become an overstayer.

Hence, why she needs to inform the home office that she needs to extend her 6 month visitors permit.

Once the child is born, she will need to apply for access to a child. details can be found at the link already provided.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can she extend her 6 month visit when she doesn’t have a Visa?

She would have been granted permission in arrival.

Americans do not have to apply for a visa as they are granted permission on arrival.

Closer to the time of the birth, she will.be able to apply for the ccess to the child.

She may be able to do this before the birth of the baby. My the time the child is born, you should have received a decision.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How will she be able to apply for a extension when she doesn’t have a Visa? Where do we go to apply for this extension?

You will have to make the application to the home office.

She does have a Visa. You keep stating that she does not, bit she has. She would have been granted it on arrival!!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She wasn’t granted it on arrival. I flew to the UK with her from the US as I was in the United States for 5 weeks. She doesn’t have a Visa. She wasn’t granted one on arrival. I was with her.