Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have just discovered that a roof that was installed on my

Hi. I have just discovered that a roof that was installed on my house around 6 years ago was done so to a very poor standard. This has resulted in a very bad damp situation to such extent that quotes are coming in for £15-20,000. According to all builders who quoted, the work was at best lazy, at worse, negligent with a failure to follow basic ventilation good practice.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norwich.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have sent emails to the original builder asking to meet and discuss the situation. No response. I have since asked for quotes, so I can at least start to understand what appears to have gone on. I have also had some work start on the fascia boarding, which is how the issue was discovered in the first place...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All I want to understand is whether this is worth pursuing? I believe there's legislation which dictates claims must be made within 6 years – I'll have to check the dates of the build when back home – but if outside of this legislative period, do I still have a case?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How come the problem was just discovered?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi. In Feb of this year I decided to get the fascia boards replaced at the end of the house. When the chosen builder pulled them off, he discovered rot extending way back into the roof. Further investigation uncovered a host of mistakes and issues which he concluded to be "shoddy work".
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Er... bit confused. Have I just paid £43 for a call that's not happening?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben... is there a technical issue? Be good to talk this through so I can understand my options. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cool. Thanks.

Don't worry I will call but it will be on my way back from court, in about an hour

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No problem. Speak in due course.

Great, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben. I've spoken to my wife and looked through the paperwork. It appears the work was done nearly 10 years ago so we've agreed to suck up the cost and not pursue this further – we're concerned it'll just become protracted and costly. Thanks for almost making the call, and no worries about the £43 charge.

Hi sorry we didn't get to speak but I will close the question and I will submit a request for a refund, you certainly won't lose that. Wish you all the best