How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14898
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

What type of specialist legal advice should i seek if I wish

This answer was rated:

Hi,what type of specialist legal advice should i seek if I wish to copy an idea for a product that a friend in France has developed.Using his design and possibly his prototype.He suggests a Franchise,but has only one site himself.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Not spoken to a lawyer.Live in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken in depth to friend,researched suppliers for cpmponents in the UK and we intend to link websites.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That has stumped me! I don't know what I need to know! That's the problem.I need to know what I need to take into consideration.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. A franchise is generally for a situation where someone is allowed to operate a business under a particular banner and the owner of the franchise retains the rights to the banner and products and also takes training and other fees from the franchisee. If this is a single product that your friend is prepared to let you manufacture and sell then what you could do, which is easier, is take a licence from him to cover a particular area. So you have exclusive rights to exploit the product under licence from him as the owner of the product or invention. You would seek speciality advice from an intellectual property lawyer or from a Patent Attorney such as Murgitroyd. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you