31090051

What type of specialist legal advice should i seek if I wish

Hi,what type of specialist legal advice should i seek if I wish to copy an idea for a product that a friend in France has developed.Using his design and possibly his prototype.He suggests a Franchise,but has only one site himself.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Not spoken to a lawyer.Live in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken in depth to friend,researched suppliers for cpmponents in the UK and we intend to link websites.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That has stumped me! I don't know what I need to know! That's the problem.I need to know what I need to take into consideration.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. A franchise is generally for a situation where someone is allowed to operate a business under a particular banner and the owner of the franchise retains the rights to the banner and products and also takes training and other fees from the franchisee. If this is a single product that your friend is prepared to let you manufacture and sell then what you could do, which is easier, is take a licence from him to cover a particular area. So you have exclusive rights to exploit the product under licence from him as the owner of the product or invention. You would seek speciality advice from an intellectual property lawyer or from a Patent Attorney such as Murgitroyd. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.