How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Cornel Your Own Question
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 705
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Type Your Law Question Here...
C.Cornel is online now

I had a tenant who made unauthorised changes to my rented

This answer was rated:

I had a tenant who made unauthorised changes to my rented property. I have a report itemising the changes that exceeded his deposit. Also, last year in October there was a fire at the property and the tenancy was ended. I’m still waiting for the final police report. The tenant is asking for his deposit back. The deposit scheme I was using can’t offer me a dispute resolution service because of the elapsed time. I need to resolve this now; I do not wish to return the tenants deposit. Please advise.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The tenant has been sent the damage report but is refusing to accept the position
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Greenford, Middx
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you offer a medication service, online if possible?

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Are you in need of mediation services in order to solve your dispute?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think I need to give the tenant a final letter outlining my position and if he refuses to accept my position offer him mediation

I am not currently available for a call, you will be refunded within 2 hours for the call amount.

Yes, you would need a final response letter stating your position.

What was the deposit amount?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have a letter template I can use?

Given the fact that the deposit amount is rather substantial, I would advise to have a legal professional specialized in such disputes and breach of contract to draft the letter.

The following procedure is more productive and efficient in order to avoid future legal liability.

In case of need I can assist you with the dispute as I specialize in litigation, disputes and contract law.

Thank you.

I'm afraid there is no template to be used for such cases.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In that case, what would be my next step?

You could either write the explanatory letter yourself or hire a legal professional to analyze the terms of your tenancy agreement and how to avoid legal liability in regards ***** ***** dispute.

I would advise to proceed ASAP, however you choose to approach this, either pursuing the dispute yourself or with someone's help.

Thank you.

C.Cornel and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I get a draft together, could you review it?

Yes, sure, how lengthy would the draft be?

As you can imagine, I have a very high volume of clients and work.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would imagine no more than 2 pages A4

Sure, do you know how to open a new question and request for me in order to receive my personal email address as due to the privacy laws and regulations, the inquiry can't occur on Just Answer.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, not sure

Ok, just open a new question and write in the text "requesting for Mr Cornel" and I will find your question.

Thank you.