How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Cornel Your Own Question
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 807
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Type Your Law Question Here...
C.Cornel is online now

My son has lived in rented accommodation and has paid rent

This answer was rated:

My son has lived in rented accommodation and has paid rent and council tax to Purbeck District Council in Wareham Dorset. In February 2019 he bought a property in Wareham but did not move in until June 2019 as the property needed renovating. He paid council tax on his rental up until this time to Purbeck and now he has informed them he has moved into his new house he has been told he will be charged council tax from February. How can this be so? It will mean he is paying twice to the same authority!
Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment - it just seems very unfair to me

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

I do agree this is illegal and abusive.

Unoccupied and substantially unfurnished properties will be subject to a discount of anywhere between 0% and 100% of their normal rate of Council Tax, at the individual council’s discretion.

I would advise to provide an explanatory letter stating that due to the fact that he was not living in the property until June 2019, he would be legally entitled to a substantial council tax discount.

Thank you.

C.Cornel and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you we will write a letter and my son has photographs showing the property was uninhabitable when he first purchased it. We will see how accommodating the council is!