JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I need advice regarding our previous land lords agent. We

Hello,I need advice regarding our previous land lords agent. We left the property on 13th May and sent them all the proof of final bills as per their requirements.
Ive emailled them twice but no reply to that and ive called twice but get the run around as they will not refund our deposit.
Graeme

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Was the deposit protected and placed in a scheme (Deposit Protection Service, Tenancy Deposit Scheme, or MyDeposits)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was. They tell me it will be paid back to my account but never happens

OK, it should have been paid back within 10 days of you vacating the premises. I will advise you how to proceed next...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks

Do you know which scheme it was placed in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think it was the deposit protection one

They will either need the dispute resolved or a court order to release the monies to you.

The scheme has a refund process which you should follow at this point.

If it is the deposit protection scheme you can check here if your money is with them :

https://www.depositprotection.com/im-a-tenant/

If it is with them, you need to email them to notify them your landlord has failed to return the deposit to you.

The email address to use is***@******.***

They have a dispute resolution scheme which you can use but the landlord also has to agree to use it.

You can sue the landlord but this would be a last resort and the court will want to know if you used the dispute resolution scheme before issuing court proceedings first.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** email them and take it from there

OK and use the attached letter to send to them and to the landlord - I would think that will prompt them to refund you. Please come back to me if you need to sue them.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Jim for your valuable assistance.Regards
Graeme

No problem at all, have a good day