How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7731
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Dear solicitor, Accidentally I paid an Internet connection

This answer was rated:

Dear solicitor,Accidentally I paid an Internet connection (talk talk) for over 3 years and half without living at the property. My ex landlord chenged the connection with a new one (Virgin) the day after I left, in November 2015.
When I realised that I was paying the internet connection, I stopped the direct debit and then contacted the Internet company. Now they told me that I have to pay for other two months and that I am not entitle to any kind of refund. I spent over £1300 during this period, and no one used the connection. My landlord can testify for me. There is any chance that I can take back my money?
Please let me know and thank you in advance
Kind regardsAlex

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that you did not cancel the contract when you left the property?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I remembered that I called them but they told me that I did not canceled the service. Unfortunately I cannot proof that I called them. Now they just offered me 90 pound of refund that I think its a ridiculous amount..

I agree with you.

I would suggest you ask for a copy of their complaints procedure and state that you are sure that you did cancel when you contacted them and therefore are not liable to the cost over the period and you would like a refund. You should state that if they do not issue the refund you will lodge a formal complaint with the Communication Ombudsman. You will find the details here - should have recordings of all calls made to them so they should have evidence that you did cancel the service.

Is there anything further you would like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please. Because I don't remember all the facts, what happen if I didn't finish the procedure to closing the account? I lived in 14 properties during these years in London and I scare that I remember an other call to close the account. Also the email where it was connected the account it was close in the same period so I don't have idea if the service was still active because also the email was disconnected and I never received any message on my mobile. What happen if I didn't the account?

It still would be unreasonable for you to be charged for the entire period in the circumstances, however techincally contractually if you did not cancel you are bound by the terms.

The process is the same either way. You make the complaint and insist that you cancelled and in the alternative they should have noticed there was zero usage and contacted you.

You should take the matter to the ombudsman if it doesn't resolve matters with a complaint.

Can I clarify anything for you please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll do as you say, thank you very much indeed. Hopefully they will grant me some money more..
Best regardsAlex

I hope so too, please take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site, thank you and all the best.

Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you